Rec Therapy Careers
THERAPEUTIC RECREATION PROGRAMMER II
$59,820.80 – $91,416.00 Annually
Department of Parks and Recreation
Parks and Recreation
- Position Information
- Arlington County has an exciting opportunity in the Department of Parks and Recreation for a Therapeutic Recreation Programmer to supervise community recreation programs for individuals of all ages, with disabilities. The program areas may include social clubs, trips, inclusion support coordination, summer day camps, special events, family programming and adapted classes. Populations served may include, but are not limited to, individuals with developmental disabilities, Autism, emotional and behavioral disabilities, learning disabilities and physical disabilities. This position requires significant interdisciplinary collaboration and teamwork within the unit, division and department as well as other county agencies.
Specific duties include:
- Assessing individual/group needs while establishing goals and objectives by working with program staff, participants and their guardians;
- Evaluating the effectiveness of therapeutic recreation interventions and making changes based upon findings by completing written program evaluations;
- Coordinating, scheduling, supervising, and training up to 20 part-time/seasonal staff and volunteers;
- Creating and implementing behavior modification or support plans for participants, and documenting their progress;
- Assisting recreation staff in the development of program modifications to ensure accessibility and participation for individuals with disabilities;
- Coordinating or supporting inclusion support services for individuals with disabilities;
- Supervising vendors for various adapted recreational activities (i.e., gymnastics, aquatics, dance, music, and yoga); and
- Designing and distributing marketing materials by using social media platforms, websites, Granicus/GovDelivery, Microsoft Publisher, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and WordPress.
The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge of the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and accessibility issues, and will be experienced in therapeutic recreation program planning in either its direct or in-direct implementation.
- Selection Criteria
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation, Recreation, Special Education, Adapted Physical Education, or a related field plus considerable experience managing recreational activities for participants with disabilities, preferably in a community recreation setting; and Certification by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. A Master’s degree in a directly related field may substitute for up to one year of the required experience.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience supervising the work of others, especially seasonal, temporary, or part-time staff;
- Possession of a current Medication Administration Training (MAT) or Medication Administration Training-Diabetes (MAT-D) certification;
- Certification in CPR, First Aid, and/or AED;
- Special Requirements
- Possession of, or ability to obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator’s license from the applicant’s place of residence; OR the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant’s official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant’s driving record.
- Additional Information
- Work hours: This is a 40 hour a week position with hours generally between 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; some weekends and late evenings depending on programmatic needs, events and marketing outreach. Employees are provided County-issued smart phones to handle occasional after-hours program and staffing situations.
Position is based at Langston-Brown Community Center, but involves travel within Arlington to other County facilities and greater metropolitan area to various activities.
NOTE: This position is listed as “open continuous.” Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible, with a preferred filing date of October 25th. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received by the preferred filing date.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the application process and are required for this position. Please do not give “see resume” as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Arlington County
2100 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 511
Arlington, Virginia, 22201