Dr. David Austin was my professor in graduate school at Indiana University. I was in his last graduate glass he taught before he retired. — Danny Pettry.
Dr. Austin recent shared:
As I was preparing a talk to deliver at Indiana State University I was struck by how many current and critical topics are covered in the book Perspectives on Recreational Therapy that Bryan McCormick and I co-edited.
The book was prepared largely for RT trends and issues courses but contains much information that practitioners can apply in their practices.
Some crucial practice related topics covered include:
- The Therapeutic Relationship;
- Evidence-Based Practice;
- International Classification of Functioning,
- Disability and Health;
- The Strengths-Based Approach in Recreational Therapy; and
- Conceptual Models for Theory and Practice.
Of course, the book also contains topics traditionally covered in trends and issues courses, such as
- certification and licensing,
- public policy,
- RT history,
- cultural competence, etc.
- A couple of chapters that students may particularly enjoy are How to Take and Pass Tests and Hire Me! (on getting a job or internship).
[I] Hope RT faculty will give Perspectives on Recreational Therapy a look as the text for their trends and issues course.
For info on the book or to obtain a desk copy please go to https://www.sagamorepub.com/
David R Austin, PhD, FDRT, FALS
Professor Emeritus, Indiana University