Blog post by: Danny Pettry, M.Ed., LPC, NCC, CTRS-BHS
Cognitive Behavior Therapists teach us that our thoughts create our feelings.
If we focus on the things we lack and don’t have then we’ll fear poor.
Here are some poor thoughts:
- I don’t have that new car.
- I don’t have a really big yacht.
- I don’t have the money for that big trip.
- I don’t have that nicer and bigger mansion.
- I don’t own a second beach house on a private island.
- I don’t have the accessories and fine material possessions.
These thoughts make me feel… Poor. I feel like I lack things.
On the other hand.
Different thoughts create different feelings.
If we focus on the things we do have then we feel grateful and wealthy.
Here are some better thoughts (these are my personal thoughts).
- I have eyes that see.
- I have legs so I can walk.
- I do have an automobile that works.
- I have a job that pays me a salary every week.
- I have amazing parents who are still alive today!
- I had wonderful grandparents who passed on a lot of life lessons.
- I have a brain that can generate new and amazing ideas and goals.
People don’t create feelings.
Thoughts create our feelings.
I could blame people who have things that I don’t for my bad feelings.
But the truth is that my feelings are… my own feelings.
I’m the person who is responsible for my own thoughts and feelings.
I could choose to focus on the all of the things that I do not have and I’d feel lack.
However, I choose to focus on all the wonderful things that I feel grateful for and as a result. I feel wealthy.
The question is: What are you grateful for? Post a response and include 20 things you’re glad about in your life!