Position: Recreation Therapist in Aquatic Therapy (part-time) Cleveland, Ohio
Salary: 20 +
Duties: General Nature of Work:
• Assess, Plan, Implement, and Document RT programming and activities to improve the functioning of participants who have a wide variety of physical, cognitive, social, emotional, developmental or age-related needs following Rec2connect protocol, under supervision of Recreation Therapist.
• Participates in staff meetings and projects as assigned.
• Respond to parent emails, phone calls, messages within 24 hours.
• Provide any necessary training tools, seminars, meetings and any other appropriate interventions to increase knowledge and understanding of Rec2connect, LLC protocols and procedures in a group setting for volunteers and staff.
• Performs work in accordance with the facility and Rec2connect, LLC standards and policies regarding risk management, safety, infection control, etc.
Examples of Work Tasks:
• Consults, as needed with supervisor concerning participant referrals; collects assessment information, complete assessments and develop treatment plans.
• Implements 1:1 and group RT activities with assigned participants for all group programming.
• Completes RT discharge summaries, as needed.
• Documents participant progress in RT programs through progress notes completed according to Rec2connect standards with prompt and narrative data.
• Designs and adapts or modifies RT daily activities to meet participant’s needs.
• Provides participants with RT resources, supplies and equipment.
• Provides emotional support to participants and families.
• Provides a positive, supportive atmosphere during RT sessions.
• Ensures participants safety during RT sessions; follows health and safety policies, anticipates hazards, and takes appropriate measures.
• Participates in team meetings as needed.
• Communicates behavioral observations of participants to other staff and team members, assess behavior motivation, provide appropriate behavior plans, assist in implementation.
• Encourages participant involvement in recreation opportunities and provides necessary supports to facilitate involvement.
• Participates in quality improvement projects.
• Works to promote a positive, professional image of RT within and outside the agency.
• Attends and participates in staff meetings and in-services as assigned.
• Develops and promotes positive working relationships within the agency.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
• Participates in task forces and committees as assigned.
• Handle registrations and payments when necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to observe participants behaviors and develop behavior modification plans as needed.
• Basic understanding of Applied Behavior Analysis and how to integrate into programming.
• Fundamental knowledge of TR principles and practices and its effects on participants functioning.
• Basic knowledge of terminology, diagnoses, issues and conditions related to participants functioning.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to relate in a warm, caring, and professional manner to participants with multiple needs.
• Ability to produce and maintain accurate records and reports.
• Ability to follow moderately complex instructions delivered both in writing and orally.
• Ability to function independently, once work tasks has been assigned.
• Ability to gather assessment information in accordance with appropriate guidelines/standards (i.e., American Therapeutic Recreation Association Standards of Practice/Guidelines for TR Assistants; National Therapeutic Recreation Society Standards of Practice).
• Ability to plan and lead a variety of TR sessions.
• Ability to observe and document participant’s progress.
• Knowledge of activity modification techniques, accessibility concepts and assistance techniques that enhance successful consumer participation in RT activities.
• Knowledge of RT policies and procedures.
Requirements: Minimum Education and Experience:
Completion of a four year bachelor’s degree program in TR or related field.
Preference- Applicants who demonstrate possession of knowledge, skills and abilities gained through at least two years of experience performing tasks similar to those assigned to the position.
Additional info: Openings available at both East (Mandel JCC in Beachwood) and West (Gemini Center in Fairview Park) side locations. Hours are typically afternoons/evenings. Both week night and weekend hours available.