Be sure to consult with a mental health professional for mental health problems.
Here is a list of 7 tips (from a rec therapist) on maintaining and promoting your overall mental health and wellness.
- Contribution: Do something to help someone else out. Volunteer with a cause that makes your heart sing. Get out there and join others. IT gets your mind off of yourself and helps you to feel great.
- Hobbies: Participate in activities that you enjoy doing. It doesn’t matter what the activity it is. As Nike says, just do it. Have some fun.
- Physical activity: physical health is connected to mental health. Keep active. Be sure to eat healthy too. That is great for both physical and mental health. Talk to a physician before starting an exercise program.
- Reach out: ask for help if you need it. Ask friends. Ask experts. Seek mental health treatment if needed.
- Relaxation: take time to restore and rejuvenate. Be sure to get a good night’s sleep well.
- Self-expression: talk about your thoughts and feelings. Find creative outlets to express your feelings as well. This could be writing, drama, painting, drawing, or anything.
- Social connectedness: make and keep connections. Participate in social activities. Do some nice things for your friends. Have a get-together.