Take 100% responsibility for your life.
– Jack Canfield
Do you want to be more successful?
Are you taking 100% responsibility for our own life and choices?
Are you taking responsibility for everything?
People who demonstrate professional commitment take 100% responsibility for their own lives. They don’t blame other people or make excuse for where they are in life. They are where they are because of their own actions. The most successful people don’t sit idle hoping and wishing. They take the most effective actions to get to where they want to be in life.
You might want to check out this formula for responsibility:
My mentor and trainer, Jack Canfield teaches the E+R=O formula. It means Event + Response = Outcome.
Start with the outcome you want to achieve? What do you hope to accomplish?
We can all determine the best possible outcome we want to achieve.
Let’s pretend our desired outcome is:
to enjoy today.
Several events happen, including:
- It rains and you were planning to enjoy the outdoors.
- your friend doesn’t call you, and
- A stranger on the street says something insulting to you.
Are you still able to enjoy the day? Some people would say “nope, not now, this day is over. It’s ruined,” but the truth is… it is still possible to enjoy your day.
Events happen all the time. They are out of our control. We can’t change the weather, or make a person call us, or control what another person said or thinks. Marshal Linehan teaches a concept called “Radical Acceptance” in her Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). It means to accept the reality of the situation to avoid prolonged suffering. You don’t have to “like” or “love” the event. You just accept the event as it is so you can feel better about it.
Have you ever seen a person fall down, get mad, and yell at gravity? Laugh aloud. Probably not. Why don’t people complain about gravity? Radical acceptance. It can’t be changed. It just is.
Change what you do have power to change, which is your responses.
An instant reaction could be, “it’s true, my day is over,” and the result would be a bad day. However, people like you (and me) have the unique power to change our response.
We can choose to:
- Think an attitude of gratitude about the rain. Some places are in droughts. Enjoy it the rain. Embrace the rain. Play in the rain.
- We can choose to call our friend to see why she hasn’t called yet.
- We can choose to have empathy and concern for the person calling us names knowing they must have something terribly wrong going on in their life right now that is making them so miserable.
Better responses = better outcomes
By choosing these responsible responses, we can take control over the outcomes.
The real event: other people (co-workers, supervisors, administration) may not appreciate you and recreation therapy as much as you do. Radical acceptance.
The real responsibility for you, your life, and your professional commitment is only in your hands. It is your responsibility. Only you can choose to make you, your life, and your profession great. You choose to advocate for what you do. You choose to learn everything you can in life. You’re the one who chooses your path. You choose to make things happen.
The real results: your commitment and action will make things happen. And as the famous Dr. Seuss said, “Out there things can happen, and frequently do to people as brainy and footsy as you.”
Smokey Bear says, “Only you can prevent forest fires!” Smokey is talking about responsibility. My favorite motivational speaker, the late Jim Rohn often said, “You can’t hire someone to do your push-ups for you.” I’ll say, “Only YOU can demonstrate your own professional commitment to your own career and profession.
Do You Really Want to Demonstrate Your Professional Commitment?
Solution: take our advanced specialty course.
Who this course is for:
It is designed for people with the CTRS credential who are seeking advanced specialty certification in behavioral health. NCTRC requires the CTRS to have at least three advanced certificates in behavioral health (along with other requirements) to gain the advanced specialty certification. (Disclaimer: always contact NCTRC for official information).
Who these advanced certificate courses are NOT for:
People who are not really motivated in learning more
People who already have a Master’s degree in recreation therapy (or possibly a related field) because a person with a Master’s degree can select another path to certification without gaining the three advanced specialty certificates.
About my NORTH Advanced Behavioral Health Certificate Courses
- Each course is wroth ten clock hours of continuing education.
- Session content is CE Pre-approved by NCTRC, so you know they count.
- Requirements include:
- Read an interesting text book
- Write at least three comments about the book in our member’s group
- Watch a one hour webinar on the topic
- Pass a written test with a score of 80% or better. You’re guaranteed to pass or you can retake the quiz for free (as many times as you want or need).
- As a bonus I mail you the required book!
- You’ll get access to network with other students in our exclusive facebook group.
- The Standard Price for my Advanced Certification Courses is $647.
- These courses have a special discount ($200) off most of the time, so they’re only $447
check it out —–> http://www.NORTHadvanced.com <—- check it out